Will Indonesia Tambora Huge Explosion Recur?
History noted that Tambora once blew apart in the largest eruption ever recorded.
(Arsip Hulton / Getty Images)
VIVAnews - As of Thursday, September 8, Mount Tambora in West Nusa Tenggara has seen an upgrade in status to alert level III (Siaga). Farmers living on Tambora readily evacuate the live volcano.
It seems that those choosing to take refuge fear that the horror of the 1815 explosion would reappear. History noted that Tambora once blew apart in the largest eruption ever recorded, killing roughly 90,000 people and blackening skies on the other side of the globe.
The question remains: will the massive volcano see another huge explosion?
Chief of Geological Disaster Mitigation and Volcanology Center, Surono, said the great explosion ever happened nearly two hundreds years ago will not recur. "Tambora in 1815 had tall peak with sizeable magma chamber. There is a very slight chance that the volcano will have as huge an explosion as it did in 1815," Surono told VIVAnews today.
Data of the Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) at the scales of between 1 and 8, the 1815 explosion was rated 7.
The April 1815 eruption of Tambora left a crater 11 kilometers (7 miles) wide and 1 kilometer (half a mile) deep, spewing an estimated 400 million tons of sulfuric gases into the atmosphere and leading to "the year without summer" in the U.S. and Europe.
- Fenomena Cosmic DNA Pada Tubuh Manusia
- Low Laten Inhibition, Penyakit Aneh Ini Membuat Anda Jenius Atau Gila
- Peneliti Klaim Temukan Pil Penunda Penuaan
- Tanda Elite Dunia Sudah Kehilangan Kontrol Terhadap Dunia
- Mengenal Simbol-simbol Pada Kemasan Obat
- Pulau Aneh dan Unik, Pulau Besok Dan Pulau Kemarin
- Aneh, Pasukan Tikus, Diterjunkan Untuk Menghabisi Pasukan Ular di Guam